Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday May 14, 2015 at 18:32
JohnGATD
Lurking Member
March 2008
Hello Remote Central family,

I know this is a ridiculous long shot, and I will probably get laughed at, but here goes....

Has anybody out there hacked an Escient MX752 or similar Escient product?

Does anybody have a work around for updating title info and cover art for DVDs and CDs in an Escient system?

Here's the back story...

A client of mine just got their MX752 back from service and it could not retrieve title info and cover art for DVDs and CDs. After speaking with Escient tech support (yes, they are still answering the phones and helping coordinate repairs), they explained to me that the Escient servers that are required to retrieve title info have been taken off line. Additionally, Escient's contract with Gracenote has been terminated as of about a year ago, thus no ability to retrieve title info and cover art.

The goal is to see if anybody out there has hacked an Escient controller/server and might be able to figure out a way to redirect the Escient unit to Gracenote directly instead of being routed to the (now defunct) Escient server and then to Gracenote.

One potential obstacle is that Gracenote may require a subscription or fee to perform title updates, but the first issue is getting the Escient unit directed to Gracenote via the internet.

Hoping someone is this wild and crazy...

Thanks!
John G in SD

Hosting Services by ipHouse