The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Friday March 27, 2015 at 22:58
SysIntegration
Advanced Member
December 2013
On March 26, 2015 at 02:36, gopronto said...
You not alone with this issue, Both Samsung and Panasonic have this issue on some new sets there are no discrete codes.

I think this may become a more common thing in the future,, but they have also removed the serial port as well.. not making it easy for integration..

Manufactures are all slowly moving over to an App based control, yet some sets need an IR code to turn on the TV befor you can use the App.

Spent many many hours on the phone to manufactures trying to get TCP/ip commands from them , it is easier to get blood out of a stone...

Most reply that it is confidential information, even when I explain the issues they are causing , they just don't care!.

I'm starting to see a shift of some manufactures moving more towards integration.  Some just don't care.  Samsung has always been challenging from their discrete codes based on year models, their lack of standard serial connector, and their year-behind-sony on quantum dot.

That being said, I would first like this disclaimer that I am not an old integrator.  (By old installer, I mean someone who was installing / integrating previous to HD TVs being around.  [So previous to year 2000]).  I say this to suggest that I have 'stayed with the times' as technology has changed and embraced these changes.

.....However.....

IP control is JUST NOT THERE.  It isn't.  It's inconsistent, unreliable, and I would NEVER recommend it in mission-critical applications.  --This is usually where someone mentions networking--  "sideways glance at URC" -- I don't care how good your network is put together, there are always going to be drops packets, unforwarded frames, lost segments.  With serial and IR, we ask a device to do one thing and only one thing.  Transmit this electrical signal.  With IP, we are dependent on the TCP/IP stack, driver translations, other bits on the wire.

I say all of that to say, I can't imagine wasting time on the phone with a manufacturer for IP commands.  At the end of the day, it's only a half-finished solution that isn't terribly reliable.  It blows my mind how deep people reach for IP commands when picking up a remote and firing an IR code is more likely to work and much easier.
0101001101111001011100110100100101101110011101000110010101100111011100100110000101110100011010010110111101101110

Hosting Services by ipHouse