The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Friday March 27, 2015 at 16:35
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On March 27, 2015 at 12:16, Dean Roddey said...
In response to the being happy thing... Don't underestimate the contribution that extreme feelings of inadequacy and desire to 'show them all' have made to all our lives. A lot of what we have came from people with serious emotional issues, and they achieved what they did because of them. Not that I want to be one of those people, but we all benefit from their problems and their attempts to compensate for them by practically sacrificing their lives.

Wait, what I am I talking about. I AM one of those people. Well, not quite. I don't have any desire to 'show them all' that I'm really better than them, and whatever feelings of inadequacy I have don't drive me to sit that the computer day after day. But, nonetheless, I have a strong drive to achieve something great, even though I firmly believe it's completely meaningless within the context of the bigger picture.

So I don't even have a good explanation for why I do it, but clearly I can't be completely healthy to have sacrificed most of my adult life to create something. And I certainly hope to get a big payoff from it. But I definitely see that as a means, not an end.

I think there are those who want to achieve something great...which then leads to "showing them all" even if that wasn't the intent. Then there are those who just want to "show them all" without putting in the actual effort. Luckily we have the entertainment industry and politics... where it is possible to rise above everyone else while spending your whole day on your knees.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse