Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Wednesday March 4, 2015 at 08:08
drewski300
January 2007
On March 3, 2015 at 23:01, TAAVS said...
How did you get 8 systems out there before realizing its a bad idea? How does the programming change in 6 months?

I've been a Savant dealer since 2010 and the programming has been the same since before that. Yeah there's been software releases with new features, but the programming is still done the same way.

As far as customizing the programming, our approach has been that if ordering a new car. I don't get to choose the shape or layout of the dashboard. The only thing I get to choose are the options or packages included and colors. The controls in a Chevy look like a Chevy as do the controls in a BMW or any other manufacturer. When you customize everything, how do you expect your new tech in 5 years be able to fix it or even train the client on how to use it?

For too long we have wasted time on customizing programming cuz we can. And now after having customized systems in the field for 11+ years, RTI, AMX, Control 4 and yes I did Phast in a previous life, I love having to not customize programming.

We're much more profitable with Savant, there's less training time, less call backs and much more stable systems.

I think this is a great response and it was the approach and reasoning we switch to Savant as well. I will argue the Savant should make simple modifications to the UI much easier so that you can stay within their boundaries but have the same Sony BluRay populate the proper commands for every job. Other than that, there is a lot of ability to customize Savant but you REALLY have to know what you are doing! But yes, not having to obsess over the UI is a nice thing...
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

Hosting Services by ipHouse