The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Monday February 9, 2015 at 12:16
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 7, 2015 at 15:55, Mac Burks (39) said...
In the last 5 years i have run into 2 TV's that were so thin i couldn't figure out how to get to the emitter without really taking it apart

The few times I've tried embedding an LED, there was no accidental hole or hole clearance that the wire could come out of, so it was necessary to cut the skinny wire and put it through a drilled hole. This is, shall we say, noticeable hacking as far as the warranty station is concerned.

so i stuck the emitter on the Back for one and on the bottom for another with hot glue. Then i made a little bead of hot glue on the back that i stuck the emitter wire into so it couldn't sag. On one TV i had to make 3 beads of hot glue because the AV connections were so high up on the TV.

Here in So Cal there are a couple of crafts store chains where a small hot glue gun and about a yard's worth of hot glue sticks cost around six bucks, all in a nice little plastic case. I bought three of these because I thought they might get damaged or lost; it's been five years and I'm only halfway through the first set of glue.

HOT GLUE is the way to go, though I'd appreciate advice from anyone who can tell me how to avoid those damned skinny hot glue 'hairs' in the first place!

...and as with so many things, saying "electrical tape" is not enough to pass on which tape is good and which is bad. First, if it has no brand and model number that you can cite, it's probably crap. Second, if it costs less than about $3 per roll, it's probably crap. I don't remember the model number, but the $4 tape from 3M is what I use; the $1.50 tape from 3M, or cheapass tape, is what I use for binding wires together for pulling. That is, it's on there for a half hour, then thrown away.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse