The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Thursday December 11, 2014 at 19:28
Spoffo
Long Time Member
March 2008
I just stumbled on this thread, but flaming people who bought an MX-810 expecting consumer support is totally unfair. When the 810 first came out URC DID, in fact, market it as a consumer product, complete with snappy consumer packaging and a CD of the software in the package. (I bought several, including a dusty one I found on a rack at Best Buy as late as June 2010.)

It appears URC was trying to have their cake and eat it too: a Harmony-type unit that could be programmed by lower-level staff on the pro side, but which could also be sold as the only computer-programmable URC unit in the consumer market. For a whole punch of reasons (including, I imagine, some howls of protest from their installer community) they pulled back and sold off their remaining inventory as a sort of junior member of the pro line only.

As a result, there were MX-810 units floating around at retail for years. Some with software in the packaging, some without. Some from dealers that could support the unit, some from others who couldn't, including many who had no idea that this unit was any different from all those key-programmed remotes they sold.

Is it any wonder there are a lot of confused and PO'd high-end consumer hobbyists out there who feel they have been treated badly by URC?

Last edited by Spoffo on December 11, 2014 19:36.

Hosting Services by ipHouse