The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Friday November 14, 2014 at 02:10
tgrugett
Select Member
August 2004
On September 21, 2014 at 02:31, aag said...
Thank you for your reply, which is very useful for me. I hadn't realized that all these companies implement the policy of castrating their customers, treating them like idiots, and preventing them from servicing their systems by themselves.

Before RTi, I had used Prontos for 15 years, and I programmed everything myself - setting up a complex and well-functioning system and enjoying the full control that I had over it. Everything worked as I wanted it to work. The only reason why I have moved away from Pronto is that Philips has discontinued its development.

I do not appreciate being patronized by RTi - but I guess that legally there is little I can do about that. Come to think of it, I may consider exploring this issue with an attorney though. Maybe it's not so clear whether RTi's policy of not sharing the software would stand a legal challenge.

Matter of fact, I do have a licensed business and a tax ID. It's a medical practice though :-) . We'll see whether I can make it plausible to RTi that I treat patients and will also sell AV equipment...

I commend your healthy sense of humor and thick skin. The subject of software dissemination for control systems can be a hot topic filled with emotion for some because in all honesty, these protections allow people to stay in business and often protect clients from themselves. You may be an exception to the rule, but 99+% of the clients would likely screw up their control systems and and claim dissatisfaction with the product if they had "backdoor" access. Programming a good control system is an art that goes well beyond understanding the software and even an understanding of programming concepts and practice. Familiarity with third party products, mastery of user interface efficiency, programming efficiency to meet need and budget and years of experience in the medium can take the software itself beyond it's basic components. The control of the software from the manufacturer is designed to protect both their reputation and to provide the dealers an opportunity to stay in business because if it "available on Amazon"... none of us would make a living. Unfortunately however, not all dealers or programmers are created equal and can deliver the best potential. This is true of all disciplines.

Hosting Services by ipHouse