The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Wednesday November 12, 2014 at 23:43
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 12, 2014 at 22:09, brucewayne said...
Some of techs at my job were talking about how they will be on a job and let's say 35 hours were budgeted for the job.

Brings us back to this: was a labor quote given, or a labor estimate?

The 35th comes around 3pm if the tech stay till 5 and make sure everthing is perfect they will have spent 39 hours on the job.

If the techs leave without everything being perfect, they have left before the job is done. Again, quote versus estimate: if the salesperson gave a quote, then the client does not pay extra for it taking extra for the crew to finish the job and make sure everything is perfect. If it's an estimate, it better be obvious that those last couple of hours involve actual work. Realistically, those last couple of hours will either involve training the client or solving problems that weren't noticed until the client picks up the remote (it happens). In either case, the client is highly involved in those last couple of hours so, if reasonable, they will see it as billable. Now, if you spent the first couple of hours during the day throwing spitwads or talking on the phone....

Now the techs didn't have any jobs in the area and would end up going back to the shop and those 4 hours 2 hours per tech . Were not billed out . Is there a hidden cost or reason to have the tech come back to the shop instead of stay at the job and make sure things are perfect.

If the job is not perfect, the job is not done. The hidden cost is an unsatisfied customer and a reason for your client to be disappointed with the entire job.

I'm asking because I'm not an owner and might be missing something . But if we didn't get paid for those 2 tech for the last 2 hours of the day wouldn't it be better to have them work in the field instead of at the shop.

Whoa! "Didn't get paid"? Does your work agreement with the business call for you only to be paid for the hours that you work on site? Only to be paid for the amount of hours that someone else outside your control estimates the job? Be paid for whatever you do during the entire day?

In every case, the business gets value from you working those last couple of hours. If you are not paid to work at the site, you are being cheated. If you are not paid for those last couple of hours work at the business, you are being cheated. I've worked full days by the hour and I've worked being paid only for time on site. We completed every job and never walked away until everything was perfect. But when I was being paid only for work on the site, I NEVER went back to the business and did any work for them there; I was an independent contractor, not an employee.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse