Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday November 12, 2014 at 20:48
davet2020
February 2005
On November 11, 2014 at 23:46, highfigh said...
One easy way to tell is by looking into which bomb group he was with. My dad was 8th Air Force, 94th Bomb Group.

Looks like he was in the 93rd Bomb Group, after googling 'The Duchess'. Originally engaged in anti-submarine flights over the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean before moving to England, based in Alconbury.

[Link: en.wikipedia.org]

If you Google :B-24 The Duchess" it will show you a page of images. The one on the far right you can see my dad standing on top of The Duchess, the next one he is the on the far right with the rest of his crew. Believe he was in the 93rd Bomb Group. His plane id was 41-24147.

The plane The Duchess was actually very famous. It had previously been piloted by Ramsay Potts in the Polesti air raid in an attempt to bomb the Romanian oil fields supplying oil for the Nazi war machine. Ramsay Potts was a squadron leader and so a lot of articles and short books were written about him. I once met someone who remembered reading a book as a kid about Potts and Duchess.

Bluesmaker..read your link about the Flying Weasels. It is hard for me to phathom the courage of these men who volunteered for missions where the odds of being killed were greater than in surviving. And then after that mission was done to do it the next day. During WWII if anyone survived 25 missions then they were rotated home to tour the US as war heros. My father made it to the 24th mission before he was shot down.
If you are going to do the job...why not do it the right way?
www.fairfaxavi.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse