Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Thursday October 30, 2014 at 20:11
Brad Humphrey
February 2004
On October 30, 2014 at 19:02, longshot16 said...
All the chest beating isn't really necessary. I think everyone here knows there is a real difference but they are just trying to quickly deploy a system.

I am too tired to reply to this but I have taken HAA Level 1 and know what it is like to actually calibrate a system.

If you drop the word calibrate and use setup it may change the discussion a bit.

I have my installers run the AVR's setup for basic purposes.

I don't know how many charge and actually really calibrate a system.

Try educating folks instead of shunning them for their perceived short comings. It really is better for everyone.

Whom are you replying to? Surely not me, as I have not shunned anyone that I am aware of. Simply trying to educate as you say.

If you took my comment about the cable extension as an offense, it surely was not either. I was giving you information to let you know, that the changes a long extension cable makes to a high impedance signal (high frequency roll off due to capacitance, etc...), will certainly alter the readings. And that without test instrumentation, you have no way of knowing how much it has been altered.

My biggest concern is those installers that do simply just run the self-calibrate feature and leave. In the past (many years ago), these self systems could actually make the system sound much worse - it was better not to touch the EQ at all, than to use it without checking.
Now days they are much better. But none are perfect. I would still recommend not using it at all, if you don't have the gear to check it. There are times that it could be way off and you would never know - because very few people have golden ears (not even me). And even self proclaimed golden ears have been proven wrong at times. Hearing is VERY subjective and influenced by before & after noises, and conditions. Much more so than video.

Hosting Services by ipHouse