The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday October 23, 2014 at 18:58
jimstolz76
Loyal Member
December 2007
I'm sitting here in a ballroom we did all the AV in (as well as the rest of the building). This room has 15+ foot ceilings and we have eight Klipsch IC-650-T 70v in-ceiling speakers throughout the room. They are fed off of a single channel on a Crown CDi1000. I am pretty sure the speakers are all tapped at 30W.

99% of the time the speakers only get used for a couple wireless mics, sometimes audio from a laptop, or audio from DirecTV, a Blu-ray player, or an iPod/phone.

It works fine, but my issue is we've got everything cranked way up to get a decent volume level. For example, right now the amp is turned practically all the way up on the front panel, I've got a wireless mic going with the mixer channel at +2dB, and the overall mixer output is set at +2.5dB. The output level is "fine" for how they use it, but I really do not like running this close to "maxed out." For all practical purposes we are right now at the "this is how loud the room can go, that's it, but you'll never blow anything up" setting.

This being the real world, and not a hypothetical equation on a piece of paper.... Would there be any detriment to bumping these speakers up to the 60W tap setting? That would be 60W * 8 = 480W, plus <200' of 16/2 speaker wire back to the amp in the basement. Being that they NEVER crank this room (and I have limiters in the BSS anyway), would there be any detriment to upping the wattage just in case they need some more volume in here one day?

I know I told the guys to set the taps to 30W so I could safely stay at under 80% of the amplifier's 500W output, but I can't say that I've actually seen the tap settings for myself.

Hosting Services by ipHouse