The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday October 23, 2014 at 11:55
bobli
Long Time Member
December 2002
On October 22, 2014 at 13:09, goldenzrule said...
Careful. Proceed with caution. While the MX5000 will give you some ip control, it is a much slower remote, has a battery with about 5 hours of charge time, and is generally thought of as a less reliable remote. Most dealers stay far away from it.

Hadn't heard anything like this, certainly not from the dealer. I was focused on the MX-1200, or MX-890, concluding the touch screen on the 1200 would serve me better (especially since I've had an MX-3000) than the four colored hard buttons on the MX-890.

I then switched my thinking to the MX-5000 in order to get some control beyond IR. Also, I'm hoping to eliminate the placement of emitters on my equipment and thought either serial, or IP options would accomplish this, in addition to their other benefits. While my A/V receiver has a direct IR input, as well as RS-232, and I'm going to purchase a blu-ray player with the same two inputs, the TV I'm looking at only has RS-232. I know of no way to get serial control via a Complete Control remote without the now discontinued MSC-400. Finally, I have a Dish Hopper so that would require an emitter without IP control. If I had serial control, I could switch to a DirecTV Genie which I understand can be controlled via it's USB port. Still, unless there's some way to get serial control that I don't know about, I would need to place emitters on both the TV and the DVR. I can certainly do that, but if there's a way to avoid it, I'd like to do so.

The 5 hour battery life-are you saying the remote will have power for only 5 hours while utilizing the system or 5 continuous hours? If it's only 5 hours of usage, that is picking it up and putting it down over a five hour period, then that sounds like a deal breaker. I charge my MX-3000 overnight and then use it quite a bit during the day. The battery gets fairly low, but has never run out over the course of a day.

Slower remote-how does this manifest itself? Components respond slowly? Remote is slow to wake up? Something else?

I'm replacing my MX-3000 because the select key is broken. I would really like to continue programming my own remote, however, the Complete Control line no longer seems to offer much beyond IR solutions. The MX-5000 seemed like a good, albeit expensive, solution. Based on your input, I need to rethink it (thanks for the heads up).

I have considered hiring a Pro because that would give me the option of going to RTI where I could then get a T2x which would probably be my first choice for a remote, if I could program it myself. Add an XP-6, or possibly an XP-3, and I'd probably be better off than with any of the URC remotes. Maybe I should reconsider this option?

Hosting Services by ipHouse