The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 66 made on Wednesday September 24, 2014 at 17:58
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 16, 2014 at 19:55, Hi-FiGuy said...
Loved the warranty on those house brand Quadraflex ST19 speakers.

I worked at Rogersound Labs about 8 months after they opened. The entire showroom was about 20 x 18. Our thing was to make speakers that sounded like famous speakers but, because we made them with quality components and took profit like a rep would, they cost a LOT less to the customer.

At one point Harvey Mudd college sent us a love note including a photo of about fifty RSL speakers and their owners. They had taken all those speakers out into a parking lot and piled them up, then took a photo of that to send with their note of appreciation.

At one point we decided we had to buy a Pacific stereo speaker to see what it had in it. The crap crossover was no surprise. The surprise was that the woofers were held in by construction staples through the screw holes, which held them together while the Henry's cured!

Edit, there is a ton of them in kit form online with led lighting, cant find one big enough.

As I said, I built a color organ 8 ft high. Used a 2" x 4" steel panduit channel, mounted real sockets in it, etc. The hint is this: you can use a transformer to isolate your audio from the color organ; then you feed the LED voltages into Triacs that turn 120Volts on and off to turn the lights on and off, and use something like those 19W incandescents I used. (Actually, it's the zero crossing of the 60 Hz that turns the Triacs off, but that's too fast for us to see.)

In fact, screw the light organ. One of these: the LM3914, 3915, or 3916, sets up a linear division of the input voltage and that is the most impressive; use two of those cascaded for 20 bulbs. Since you've got the audio isolated from the low voltage circuits, all you have to do is wrap up all that circuitry so nobody can touch it and it's safe.

So, other than that, we've pretty much beat this topic to death, haven't we?

And who the HELL would have ever thought that those stupid 1966 Sony clock radios with the numbers that flipped down would ever be classics?

Especially when it doesn't have A THING on this clock from the forties, called a "Hotel Clock":

Those metal pins around the outside could be pulled out to set an alarm during every half hour. It's the wake-up call clock.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse