Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Wednesday September 24, 2014 at 11:47
sirroundsound
November 2003
When discussing shutting off the OTA transmission CBC and the others are all for it, they believe if they have better control over how they send their signals to Rogers etc, they can get paid for the signal.
When it comes to CBC being a publicly funded station (and advertising revenue) they felt they were similar to a city bus. Publicly funded, there are adverts in buses and we, the users, also pay to ride the bus. So why shouldn't we pay to watch their shows.

Didn't know the CRTC had anything to do with our public funded bus systems?

Not the same thing CBC.... What they should have compared themselves to is RADIO. I can pick up lots of radio stations for free as an end user, and I get to listen to all the advertising too. A good station with the music / programming I want to listen to will get my attention and advertisers wanting to reach my demographic will spend their money there. Pretty simple business 101.
If I don't want ad based programming I have a choice, I can subscribe to Satellite radio services or I can also search through the 1000's of on line stations available (and listen to their adverts).
I have choices.
Shutting down OTA signals still personally leaves me choices, unfortunately for Canadian television programming, my choices will come from the other side of the border.
And I hope Netflix holds their ground against the CRTC, heck, if they really want to rile up a whole lot of Canadians, just tell the CRTC to @$%& it, and pull out of Canada until they get their heads out of their .... If that doesn't light up the phone lines, then we are way to soft up here and deserve what we get.

Hosting Services by ipHouse