Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Thursday February 24, 2000 at 15:07
Eric S
Historic Forum Post
I think that what we've got needs some work (not asking you to do it, though). For example, every 3D button set I've found for the Pronto places the light to the left and above the button, in the normal Win9X manner. However, if you look at the shadowed buttons already on the Pronto, the shadows are down and to the left, placing the light above and right, not left.

Also, I'm unsatisfied with the navigation systems I've tried. I realize that there are tradeoffs, but who knows, maybe someone out there has a better way of doing it. The perfect navigation system would display all the options, all reachable with a single tap, and not take up any screen realestate.

I've tried a couple of different setups so far.

First was three buttons at the top, each for a different panel, and smaller "scroll" buttons to the left and the right to get to panels other than those three. This had the problem that you had to remember the order of the panels.

Then I tried something similar, but with a single button that would rotate through sets of three buttons. I didn't like this because it didn't show all the options, and while that's fine for me, it didn't work well if I just handed someone the remote and said "Try it."

I'm currently playing with something similar to the tabbed folders, where there are, in this case, 7 buttons at the top of the panel, one for each panel, they always stay in the same place, and the font gets bigger for the active panel (maybe inverting the text would work better). It seems to be working O.K. (I had tried other peoples tabs, but found I fat-fingered the tabs too often).

How well do the simulated menus work? I assume someone has tried them.

I'm generally not worried about navigating between devices, because my "devices" are activity-oriented, so you should have all the functionality you need within the current device. The current list of devices are TV, TV/Stereo, VCR/TV, VCR/TV/Stereo, DVD/TV, CD, Tuner, and Tape. It doens't display well on the Pronto, so I'm going to have to figure out how to shorten them.

Hosting Services by ipHouse