The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 63 made on Tuesday September 16, 2014 at 17:20
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
The Marantz "Imperial" line might be what they're referring to in the video when they say "pressboard bottoms." I once saw an Imperial monster with the top off. There was a PC board for the amplifier, a PC board for the tuner/preamp, a completely separate 8-track player... and I saw at least one unit with a turntable built in. All the modules were screwed onto a particle board bottom.

The videotape mistracking is just the finest bit of detail, isn't it?

On September 16, 2014 at 08:43, Hi-FiGuy said...
...Had it hooked up to the color organ I made in my electronics class in Jr High School.

I was done with color organs by about 1972. In 1974 I built a sort of color organ. Thing is, it was all white, using those little 19 watt 120 volt bulbs you used to see on liquor store signs, the ones that turn on and off making a chasing effect.

My color organ used two ICs, the LM3914 (or 15 or 16) to create a stack of lights eight feet high. It was very cool. What I was not ready for was that when setting it up to represent level logarithmically, most of the lights were on all the time, but changing to linear made that puppy pop up and down incredibly!

This thing had all the challenges you'd expect from taking an audio signal and turning power on and off up to 120 times per second while keeping the audio isolated from the power line. Great fun.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse