The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 50 made on Thursday September 11, 2014 at 05:01
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 11, 2014 at 01:06, Ernie Gilman said...
I never heard of the 83.

Another topic is that I've had a small bag of voltage regulator tubes that I've been carrying around for THIRTY years thinking it would be so cool to put them in line on a narrow chassis and mount them on the wall. They aren't all the same color, and adjusting the current can slightly change the color, but they are all a very subtle shade in the purplish or pinkish range. Some of those are octal and some are 7-pin glass... would that be septal?

I had a summer job in 1967, I think, disassembling equipment. The age of the equipment was: military equipment... used... taken out of service... sold as surplus... physics department at UCRiverside used it... repaired it... took it out of service... one or two years later they gave it to me to take apart and keep whatever I felt might be usable.

I saw fantastic construction because lives depended on everything operating right and being serviceable. Every installation I do is a poor imitation of what I saw that summer. And nixie tubes, Philbrick amplifiers, just all sorts of stuff.

Look at this- might have ALL tube numbers-
[Link: en.wikipedia.org]

I have seen night lights that have a small tube with only the heater filament energized- I may make some of these since I have a lot of tubes that someone foisted on me. Glad I finally took them- I found lots of rectifiers, several preamp and output tubes that I have used in some of my guitar amps. I donated the small TV tubes.

I did car audio for a long time and one thing I grew to hate is unruly wiring where it traveled along the sill molding and in the bundles for alarm modules, etc. 12" or more isn't close enough for wire ties to keep everything straight and neat, so I eventually settled on roughly 6" between ties. This is also close to the spacing taught to electronic techs in the military and I worked with someone who received his training while he was in the Marines. We were working on an Acura NSX and as we installed the full alarm system and additions to the audio system, we also cleaned up the work that was done at another shop. He worked on one side and I did the other, when it came time to bundle everything before closing it and it looked very much like one person did the work because of the similarity. Eventually, the car owner decided to sell it and before he did, it was taken to a third shop to have all of the equipment removed. I had worked at all three shops and when I went to the one where it was being readied for sale, I heard the installer complaining about all of the wire ties. I said, "Look great, right?" and he went off like a rocket. It was pretty funny.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse