The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday August 22, 2014 at 18:54
cocoa
Long Time Member
July 2010
Thanks to Keaster 2000 for making me aware of the Canadian government suggesting that Canadian TV stations can shut down their transmitters. Our regulator in Canada, the CRTC, seems to think that allowing TV stations to turn off their transmitters would help Canadian TV production. We have until September 19th to let them know.

Here's what I posted on the CRTC website:
OVER THE AIR BROADCASTING
Why would you want to reduce Over The Air -- antenna TV --Canadian broadcasting? Broadcast TV is a major component of what the CRTC is legally mandated to run.

New technologies mean that over the air TV may outlive Cable.
Digital TV has made it possible to receive many channels with a high quality HD picture. The picture I get is often better than fibre optic TV and much, much better than cable. A $100 antenna makes it possible for people within 100 miles of the US border to receive a host of TV stations. Here in Toronto, I can get 40 stations, many of them in HD. My favourites dial has 23 channels: 11 are Canadian and 12 are American. So....the CRTC is saying they want Canadians with antennas to only receive AMERICAN CHANNELS? You want to change things so that I can only get American channels?

Are you nuts?

I'm not making this up. This is what you propose: "Local stations would be permitted to shut down transmitters". ([Link: crtc.gc.ca], Item #16) Canadians have to buy cable to watch Canadian TV?

Cable peaked a few years ago. Rogers is laying people off by the hundreds.

Many are using the internet for TV and Apple TV and other technologies are making it easier and easier. Almost all of the people I know who bought an antenna did so because Rogers really beaned them off with poor service or poor quality HD TV. Those who wanted one special station had to buy packages filled with dozens of channels they never watched. I got rid of cable, phone and high speed internet when Rogers started charging me for a free PVR. In those 11 years, I have saved thousands by using an antenna and a Canadian internet company. There are antenna PVRs too.

Why don't you help Canadian broadcasters to improve measurement of their REAL audiences -- including the internet TV and Over-the Air broadcasting fans. There are thousands of Canadians with antennas. Nobody knows what they watch. More accurate ratings, or 'eyeballs', for Canadian programs on internet AND antenna TV would help broadcasters earn revenue from ads.
Please ensure that I can continue to watch Canadian TV.

Here's the link [Link: finance.yahoo.com]

Here is the document for discussion. You can register to post comments; the deadline is September 17, 2014. Please do. I would also love Americans to let them know what Canadian stations you watch.
[Link: crtc.gc.ca]

Hosting Services by ipHouse