The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday August 14, 2014 at 01:54
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 12, 2014 at 23:50, goldenzrule said...
I'm paranoid that the key to my house will get a chip and no longer unlock my door, so I wanna just borrow my friends key to his house to unlock my door. It's a lock, and a key so it will work i presume.

I have zero idea what you are trying to say here.

I seriously wonder how and why things go through your mind. I mean that in actual curiosity. If you are not saving copies of your work and relying on the hopes that a backup copy can be stored on the actual device that stores the original file, then you really have to revisit your procedures.

I'm the guy who knew how to do graphics with Epson printers in the DOS era because I wondered why someone would waste half of the possible characters on italics... and found that the higher order ASCII characters could be printed where everyone else put one or two words in italics in every ten documents.

I ask questions about things because I find that if you only learn exactly what's needed to solve a particular problem, you'll miss out on growing and being able to do things that other people aren't aware of. I see that there's memory in the remote; I see that it uses CE; I wonder what that means and I ask about it. Sorry to bother you.

I keep at least two copies of all system files. I have the 100 or so Gb dropbox account, so I understand that approach:

We save all remote files to dropbox. All of the company and tech computers have the dropbox file folder which backs up the files to each computer. We also backup to two local NAS drives in the office. So when that remote sh1ts the bed, a copy of the file is a stone throw away.

Your NAS is a good idea. You've got to realize that dropbox can go away in an instant, just as any puff of the cloud can evaporate when the heat is on. And isn't it possible, if dropbox goes away, for that to signal all the computers to delete their copies?

Of course, that's just a question that I'm asking.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse