The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday August 9, 2014 at 10:26
SysIntegration
Advanced Member
December 2013
On August 9, 2014 at 03:28, kdp99 said...
Can any clever person help me understand this.

I have an older Denon AVR (European version of the upgraded 5800, 13+ years old).

I an thinking about replacing it with a new Atmos AVR (X7200W) when it is out.
I wanted to test if the basic codes (volume, input selection etc.) of my current AVR would still work. I tried two tests that gave conflicting results.

Test 1 I added to my remote (MX850), the Denon 4311 codes, (their previous top line model), direct form the URC database on the remote code 1324. My current AVR did not respond to basic codes.

Test 2 I used this code set for the current top AVR the 4520
[Link: audioproducts.com.au]

pages 2 to 7, with the Denon make hex code generator, and my current AVR did respond to the basic codes ?

Any idea why this is and if the current basic codes from my AVR would work with a modern AVR ?

Thanks

Responding to both you and the next post down, I will say the Denon X-Series codes frustrate me quite a bit.

It's hard to say what your receiver is doing without looking at the actual hex code, which I find is quite more valuable than anything else.

Using a program like IRScrutinizer, you can copy/paste your hex code and determine the IR protocol, device number, and function number of each of your codes. By comparing those numbers, you can actually get a sense of what you are sending to your device.

Lots of companies, Sony, Denon, Integra, Yamaha, do not often change their codes. It is easier to build on existing codes than to have to go through R&D for new codes sets, new boards to accept the codes, new IR devices to send the codes, etc, etc. (This is massively over generalized, but I hope this is making sense).

Regarding why your specific device prefers newer code set over older ones, I would have to look at the code itself, but I do have a speculation:

It may have something to do with being a European model. To give you a real life example, Yamaha had their RX-A and RX-V series receivers, which used totally different code sets. However, the European RX-A series receivers actually responded to the RX-V series codes. (Or vice versa). I would not be surprised if something like this is the case for what you have going on.

I'll have to break out my PIR-1 to see the hex for the code set you listed above to be absolutely sure, and check it against a Modern Denon that isn't the wretched X-Series.

If you need a full X-series code, btw:

[Link: remotecentral.com]

Also, if you don't have this site book marked, do it. It'll save you one day:

[Link: awe-europe.com]
0101001101111001011100110100100101101110011101000110010101100111011100100110000101110100011010010110111101101110

Hosting Services by ipHouse