The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Tuesday July 29, 2014 at 03:22
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
On July 9, 2014 at 21:30, highfigh said...
For one, cars and trucks are licensed, visibly. If a license were required for a gun, it would be too small for most people to see and if it was an RFID tag, I would bet that privacy concerns would be raised because it could be scanned from a distance through the act of someone in Law Enforcement when it's concealed. While I like this in the event that someone is in possession illegally, I don't really like it as a private, law-abiding citizen. If this could be done in a way that it can't be easily defeated, it would make finding lost, ditched or stolen guns a lot easier.

Licensing the guns is not so that you can get a plate number when its flashed at the convenience store. It's so that when a criminal is arrested with a gun that they don't own, you can find out who they got it from and arrest them for supplying the criminal with a firearm.

We are required to make notice when we sell a car or truck, but it's pretty hard to hide one, unlike a handgun. Yes, people use cars when they commit crimes, they aren't usually the weapon of choice. OTOH, people buy and sell cars without telling the DMV, all the time. Usually, the title isn't signed and it could go through several buyers before someone totals the car, steals it or abandons it- these cars tend to be priced low because they're used as a disposable item- it's cheaper to buy a POS car and drive it until it drops than to spend the cash on a good car, then title it and maintain it. They usually have temporary plates and belch smoke because they haven't been maintained well, if at all. Go to a gas station in a bad area and you'll see people putting $3 worth in because that's all they have.

At least in Illinois...buying and selling a car without transferring the title is illegal. People "doing it all the time" are breaking the law. These are criminals. Just because criminals break the law it doesn't mean that we should do away with the law. The law is why we are able to hold people accountable for their actions.

Illegal guns change hands frequently, too. It's not a good idea to keep one for long and can travel around the country for years before they're revocered or destroyed.

But if law enforcement does get a hold of it...then can go after the person who "lost" it in the first place. Fine them for a first offense. Take away their ability to buy firearms after a second offense. Jail time on the third offense when its obvious they are selling weapons to criminals illegally.

Just like with other laws that hold "law abiding citizens" accountable...it will reduce the number of guns reaching the criminals.

There are no easy or popular answers. Bad behavior is learned by people in circumstances they can't control and it can be justified in many ways. When children are raised around people who can't make a good decision if their life depended on it, they end up in the same position, later.

People need to think before they act, but when their choice is to be the aggressor or be a victim, they'll be the aggressor. People in MKE are really getting tired of the violence, though. I really would like to see them make a difference.

If we do what we can to stop the flow of weapons to the criminals it will reduce the homicide rate. The same guy shooting from a window wont park his car and get out to fight a group of people...and even if they do it will be a fight not a shoot out.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse