The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday July 25, 2014 at 12:43
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
Hello everyone.

A client I've done a lot of work for has four cameras installed (came with the house). Their cables are fed to a location beside the electrical panel and I want to extend the cables about 20ft each to a rack I installed in a utility room. The cable in question is a RG59 Siamese cable. I. In the past I would have just attached whatever coax I had on hand but I have been reading the A/V Installer's Pocket Cable Guide (maybe not the exact title) as recommended by Ernie, and if there is one thing I have leaned it's that there is way more to choosing a cable than I previously knew.

In an effort to do the best job I can, I ask what kind of cable should I extend these cameras with? I asked one of my suppliers if I can just use the RG6 cable that I have (quad shield with copper clad steel conductor) and he said no it won't work. I asked why, he said the larger center conductor in RG6 makes it incompatible. My first instinct was that's a load of crap but then I realized I actually don't know if he's wrong. He didn't give me enough of information to back up his statement though so I'm still inclined to think he has no idea what he's talking about.

Unfortunately I don't have any specs on the cameras. With out that can someone tell me what the typical cable used for this application is or can use my RG6 quad and separate power wires to make the extension? I don't plan to get into security so I don't want buy 500 or 1000 ft of cable just for this one job. But if I need to I will.

Thanks, Craig.
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.

Hosting Services by ipHouse