The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday July 24, 2014 at 01:14
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 23, 2014 at 21:07, Dave in Balto said...
Just wondering if anyone has any experience / opinions on an XLR extender.

I've used three XLR extenders in a row, each 100 feet long, for microphone signals in a HUGE church where we recorded The Gospel Music Workshop of America. Those XLR extenders are called mike cables. The Guitar Center has them in various lengths and they're a bit less expensive that way if a) you buy the cheap ones and b) you really figure your labor to solder XLRs onto the ends of the wire.

Have a job where customer has an oppo BD in a rack for an hdmi distribution system. He also has a McIntosh 2 channel system in another corner of the room, and wants to use the oppo as a CD player using its balanced outputs.

And those balanced outputs have XLR connectors, right?

I have a cat5 between the two (could steal another), this is an afterthought to the system and no additional wiring can be run.

Well, it's a bit late in the post to be saying wire can't be run! Wire two CAT5 pairs to XLRs. Ignore the ground. This tests what they keep saying about CAT cables "they're balanced!"

Edit: I just realized that your thread is titled Balanced audio extender, which is truly the subject, but the first sentence says you want an XLR extender. That means you are specifying the type of connector used, while the thread title defines the type of output circuit. That's why I answered about XLRs.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse