The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday July 22, 2014 at 23:19
Impaqt
RC Moderator
October 2002
Doing some updates to a job coming up. the house has a 4x4 Component video matrix. there is a TV in the Kitchen, one in the Family Room, one in the Master Bedroom, and one outside in the Pergola.

We did a Theater in this home years ago, but they used someone else about 3 years ago to do the video matrix and distro. Friend of a friend thing. it worked "fine" but after several attempts and loads of patience, they called us, told us what happened and want to know what its going to take to fix.

all pretty straight forward.
heres where it starts to get weird.
And I will preference this by saying the work I saw was pretty good. Wiring was neat. Components were good quality. Even installed a K-Scape server and a couple clients.

the Aton 4x4 Component matrix has Cat5 outputs... but only 3 were in use. .... after a few questions, we find out that the Master bedroom and Pergola both share the same output.Whatever is displayed in one area is also in the other.

There is no split in the rack at all. Just a cat 5 running out of the Aton HDR44 up into the ceiling.

Now it gets a little more strange.

the Bedroom TV. a Samsung put in at the same time as the component matrix has only a HDMI cable going into it.

the TV was up onthe wall above a dresser and I could not see very well, but I did see this HDMI cable go int the wall. (No boxes for upconversion at the TV)

But wait theres more...

we go out to the Pergola. Its a Sharp TV. No outdoor enclosure. there's a roof over it at least.. but its totally exposed to the elements otherwise.

This Sharp plasma has only one wire going to it as well.

composite.

yes. Composite.

o.O

it started its life as the cable TV coax feed. As it turns out, no other wires were run out to the pergola, so the coax got turned into a composite cable. Running new wires out there unfortunately is never going to happen either. so we are either going to have to do a HDMI over a single Coax or a Peerless HD Flow.

Anyway, what Im stuck on is figuring out how a Cat5 Component Video output Magically turns into a HDMI and a Composite video output.

I assume there is some sort of box at play here, but the homeowners have no idea where it might be and I dont even know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know a box that was available in mid 2011 that could take a component in and then output HDMI AND Composite?

I think All relative info is here, but let me know if ya need anything else.

Hosting Services by ipHouse