Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday June 30, 2014 at 04:08
bcf1963
September 2004
On June 30, 2014 at 02:34, Ernie Gilman said...

Hey, Brian: you say I should just use a writing tool and some paper, not bother with the technology and waste of time involved in creating a worksheet. I remember a few months ago when I recommended that someone use a capacitor with a relay, doing a bit of experimentation to figure out what value they needed, and you said the thing to do was a timer. Making a timer involves an IC and all the technology involved in that. Did you just say today that for some things, simpler is better?

The difference is, what you were proposing, wouldn't work. At the time I pointed out several reasons why what you proposed didn't work.

If all you want is an electronic version of a shopping list, to make it easy to share with someone else... again, a much easier method, scan or photo. Hell, word processing would be easier than a spreadsheet.

Your spreadsheet grocery list reminds me of many people I deal with at work, who seem to endlessly be making pretty power point presentations, that say they are working on a problem, and haven't figured out the root cause. They have lots of pretty pictures, and tons of detail showing how hard they are working. My guess is they typically spend more time making presentations justifying their work, than working.

Last week I showed a single power point slide regarding an issue I was troubleshooting. It had a bullet item with the various solutions that I tried, but weren't the cause, and another bullet with the next things I would try, in order that I thought they should be tried. By boss actually said to everyone else in our group meeting, perhaps you should all take a lesson from what Brian's doing, he puts more importance on the task, than reporting on the task. We get paid for fixing problems, not reporting on problems.

Hosting Services by ipHouse