Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 41 made on Thursday December 21, 2000 at 16:31
Guy Kuo
Historic Forum Post
Not one week after my finding this thread, my poor Pronto lost a fight with someone's heel. I remembered this thread and ordered two replacement screens. At this price, it was worth getting a spare. Ordering from earth.com is cumbersome. You must fax or email an order even if you have a human on the telephone. I asked for confirmation that my order had been accepted but got none. They did get the screen out in two days, but I was worried it would take me a week just to find out they order hadn't gone through. Anyway, the screens arrived today and SUCCESS!

I installed the new revision A screen in my Pronto. As others, I asked for a rev B board but received a rev A screen from Earth.com. However, the screen works perfectly. No odd gray lines are present. It took more work than a direct drop in replacement because the Rev A screen's components are laid out differently from the Rev B. I had to cut two places on the plastic panel holder to clear a capacitor and one of the lapped over solder tabs holding the new panel assembly together. The L1 inductor is also in a different location so one must cut a hole in the bottom of the battery compartment to clear that component as well. Once installed without anything compressing components of the LCD panel, the screen has contrast and unblemished appearance easily matching the orignal rev B screen. I suspect the problems people have been having with the rev a screens may be due to not cutting the plastic mounts and battery compartment to clear the components. Also, the ribbon connector is tricky to tighten without accidentally angulatinging the ribbon cable. Anyway, the rev A works fine in my unit. Thanks for find this screen source!

Guy Kuo
Ovation Software - Home of AVIA DVD
www.ovationsw.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse