Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Tuesday May 6, 2014 at 19:02
JonW747
September 2006
I came to this thread because the buttons on my URC remotes are wearing out, and I need to do something about it. Either get them fixed, or replace them, and I've been investigating whether Harmony (or something else) can do what I'm doing with my collection of MX900's and MX850's.

The latest Harmony models even have a cool hub that seems to integrate a number of technologies, but I just don't see a way I can handle even simple things like the fact I need to control a pair of DVR's that are stuck using the same code set in the same location.

I'd love to use something "meant for me", but those products are invariably too crippled.

Anyway, I still get a kick that people call setting up a remote control "programming" or think something about it is inherently hard.

I personally would be quite interested in a remote control that could be programmed in a real programming language with real programming tools.

A basic hard button remote in quantity only costs a few dollars to produce. Add a decent processor and a display to that with USB, bluetooth, and/or WiFi and it's only a few dollars more.

I suppose if I didn't consider hard buttons a necessity, I'd just use an old iOS or Android device.

Sounds like a fine kickstarter project.

Hosting Services by ipHouse