Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Wednesday December 6, 2000 at 12:37
Aaron Macpherson
Historic Forum Post

Happy to read that some Pronto users have been successful with their own screen sourcing and replacement.

To give people who are apprehensive about trying this on their own I'm going to try to summarize the steps I took to replace my screen. I replaced my screen about a month ago but I think I've remembered the important details:

1) The Pronto case is held together by three screws. Two are under the battery compartment and the third is under the label on the back, centered, close to the bottom. The location of this third screw can be found by running your fingernail near the bottom edge of the label and feeling for an indentation. The tip of a knife can be used to pierce the label to give you access to the screw. The socket on the screws is a T6 Torx. Torx drivers are similar to Hex (Allen wrench) but have a star-like tip. Torx are available at most hardware stores (or in gift tool sets that you never really looked at).

2) Remove the three screws and gently work the case apart. Mine hung up on the rubber block that is the base for the five white push buttons. Be patient. Some of the components in the Pronto are sensitive to Electro Static Discharge (ESD). Make sure you are grounded before touching the inside of the unit. Use the same precautions that you would use to change out a board in your computer.

3) Now you have access to the Printed Circuit Board (PCB). (If memory serves…) Two more screws need to be removed to separate the PCB from the case. Be careful here, there is a flat-cable (flex cable) that attaches the screen to the PCB. Lay the PCB and the top case out so that you can unplug the cable from the PCB. The connector on the PCB has two semicircular tabs on either side of the cable. With moderate pressure, slide the two tabs away from the connector until they stop (about 2mm). The cable should easily slide out now.

4) The screen is held in place with two more screws through a plastic support bezel. Remove the bezel and screen. There are some small hook features in the bezel that hold the screen in place so you will need to gently pop it out.

5) Now you are ready to reverse this process and reassemble your remote with a replacement screen. Be sure the flat-cable is well seated in the PCB connector before sliding the two semicircular tabs back in place. Make sure the cable is out of the way of the Left and Right buttons when you reassemble the PCB to the case. Your may need to bend it into an "S" or "W" shape. You can practice with the old screen if you like. Be careful to not over-tighten the screws during reassembly.

Hope this helps.

Hosting Services by ipHouse