The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday April 5, 2014 at 14:26
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
You really had to copy the entire first post to make those comments?

In response to highfigh, I don't have a set of answers. I'm asking questions that nobody seems to be asking. Maybe we'll develop a better approach by discussing this. That's my point.

On April 5, 2014 at 14:12, highfigh said...
At one site, three channels is fine, but what do you suggest when houses/MDUs are right on top of each other and everyone has WiFi?

I suggest that we don't blindly assign 1, 6, and 11.

Ch3 is Ch3, whether it's your network or your neighbor's and the signal from one can still interfere with the other.

True. How are wifi signals modulated? If it's FM, then "capture ratio" (yes, I remember tuner specs) predicts that your channel 3 will be received better than your neighbor's channel 3, as yours is, presumably, closer.

Why are three channels fine at one site? I need only one. Who needs three? I'm not implying that nobody does, I'm asking who does.

If you're assigning three in one location, are you ignoring what's happening in your area? If, somehow, channels 1 - 5 were full and even had more than one device on each channel, you'd do yourself better by using 11, 8 (or 9), and 6. A)There's channel separation, and B)you don't set up any direct overlaps.

Open your browser and enter the gateway IP address, then look at the wireless settings, It should indicate which channel it's using or set to Auto and if you click on the channel numbers, it should show the frequency.

You're doing this in the blind if you're not checking what channels are being used.

I use a U-Verse gateway, by 2Wire and I have a Ubiquity router- if you have more than one to check, they probably use the same channels. Post the results and if needed, the rest of us could probably check ours and we can compare.

This is a discussion of theory, information, and how to go about deciding what to do. And why, if you have more than one to check, do they probably use the same channels?

Remember the FM tuner spec 'Alternate channel selectivity'?

Jeez, I had to name the spec to discuss the idea? Don't forget adjacent channel interference and adjacent channel selectivity.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse