Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday April 3, 2014 at 12:22
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
The lowly terminal strip is your answer:

This one has twelve connections. You'll want nine screws, but I don't remember (and I'm not going to bother to look up) whether exactly nine is available.

Get two.

Get interconnect bars that go from screw to screw to make them common.

Get spade lugs for your power leads.

Mount one of these above the other, say + on top; cut your power leads so the + lead is an inch or so, whatever your spacing, longer than the -, which lets you bring the wire pair in from below.

Get a 36 volt power supply and use that for your power. Don't like wall warts? don't choose one. I got sixty possible choices in open frame 36 VDC, AC powered supplies at [Link: alliedelec.com]. I don't know if that works as a link; go to alliedelec.com and search from there. At a glance I saw a supply that gives a bit more than one amp for about $15 and one that gives 25 or so amps for $551.

Now, sit for a few moments and think about how much time it will take you to assemble all of this and have it look good. Do you put it on the back of a blank plate, leaving screw heads showing on the front? Do you get a rack mount chassis?

Just how long will it take you to fabricate this;
how much is that Gefen power pack;
how much is your time worth?

The answer to that, in most cases, is why I quit making cool little custom chassis several years ago. The cost was way more than I could charge!

...and for better answers, if you're objecting to the price of a Gefen item, please include the price; if you need power, thanks for the voltage but the needed current is necessary.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse