The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday March 8, 2014 at 20:01
DamnNearGenius
Lurking Member
March 2014
Wow, 3FG. Thanks! You cats really know your stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, much less in such incredible detail with clearly an expert level of knowledge and specific instructions pertaining to my very rare and unusual device.

I'm blown away by your generosity in sharing your time and knowledge with me.

Again, thank you.

I presume by Comcast remote, you mean something along the lines of this:

[Link: ebay.com]

I'm not sure which specific model number that is as it isn't listed, but it seems to be one of the more prevalent, newer ones, so I presume that would suffice, although if I need to be more specific and to acquire a newer/more advanced one for the codes to work, please let me know.

Also, I wasn't quite clear on the JP!.3 computer interface cable you suggested, and after a few unsuccessful internet searches for that specific phrase, figure you must have meant the JP1 remote interface protocol ( [Link: hifi-remote.com] ) with the specific remote you suggested requiring a version 1.3 cable to connect to it ( [Link: docs.google.com] ) ...although searching online I couldn't find one for less than $30, but hang on one sec, because I was also curious about the potential viability of a third option, which would be acquiring something like a Philips Pronto TS-1000 [Link: ebay.com] programmable touchscreen remote for a minimal amount of money on ebay, but, that would hypothetically allow me to program it to label each button individually thereby eliminating of the confusion that would undoubtedly come with simply reprogramming a Comcast or other universal remote with the myriad of different functions the Sony SB-V3000 I have has compared to a normal TV/VCR/DVD/Stereo/etc.

I could get that early model of Philips Pronto for $22 on ebay, and then with a simple $3 usb-to-serial adapter be able to plug it into my computer to program it, but, if that is a viable option and that were the case, which programming codes would I use?

I noticed the ones you so graciously laid-out and specified for me to hypothetically program the Comcast remote relied on the 994 Command protocol to input the codes into the remote one-by-one manually, but if I were to find an affordable jp1.3 cable and input the codes directly into the remote that way, would they be the same codes? And what it the software/GUI I would use to do that?

Also, one last thing, sorry to be such a bother, but if I bought the Philips Pronto so that I could have the remote buttons backlit and custom labeled to each function of the SB-V3000 versus having to somehow remember or refer to a cross-reference list to remember which button corresponds to what (in the dark...when I would only be using it maybe once or twice a month), which codes would I use to program the Pronto...assuming that is possible?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me and offering such incredibly detailed knowledge on the subject. You must be some kind of remote grand wizard to not only know which type of universal remotes are capable of being programmed to operate such a rare device, but also where to find them.

I'd be totally lost without you guys. Thank you so very much...and I'm actually learning a lot about how universal remotes work 'under the hood' in the process. Awesome!
Allen E. Simpson
facebook.com/wayoverdue
@AlynAlyxWest

Hosting Services by ipHouse