The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Wednesday February 19, 2014 at 12:16
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 18, 2014 at 21:58, Fins said...
Ernie, the question was

Round the following numbers to the nearest hundred:

346 _____ 14 ______

The debate is over 14. If you need more information to comprehend this question, I'll see if I can have the special ed teacher contact you.

Getting math right requires being very specific about how it's written. It did not take a special ed teacher to tell me that the problem you posed,

could not possibly have been the problem. You didn't notice that you wrote numbers and then supplied only one number?  How the hell does one answer an obviously impossible question?

Then you wrote
There were two numbers to the problem. The first was 346. She rounded that to 300. Then the other one is 14. So how would you round it to the nearest 100?

But this is freakin' MATH and exactly how it's written matters a lot. You chide me for not getting it, but what you wrote was unclear enough that Mario claimed it was not about rounding off but about estimating.  And he's pretty sharp.

Hell, a good math teacher would have written the problem (it's not a question, it's a problem) as

346 _____

14 ______

or even better

1. 346 _____

2. 14 ______

We deal here every day with people who have trouble solving problems with A/V gear, such as the recent request for a device to convert optical to CAT5. Well, you can't. Light does not convert to electricity and plastic does not convert to copper. The actual problem is "What device can convert an optical digital signal to a balanced wired digital signal?" Stating it clearly and completely points to the answer, which is to look into how the signals are sent, and convert their transmission method from one style to another.

You kid's math teacher is either mean or is too ignorant to realize that the problem as posed has too few parts to help point toward the answer.  The teacher should have given another one or two examples to get the mind into the groove of rounding off before tossing in the grenade.  That teacher did not use the problem to teach, but to eliminate!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse