The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 35 made on Monday January 20, 2014 at 20:09
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 20, 2014 at 00:45, Ernie Gilman said...
The sound didn't stop from the REC OUT or from the PRE OUT, or both? If the switching is passive, it could come out the REC out when power is off. But the volume control is after the switching in the circuit path, then there's the line level amp (of a preamp) that gives you the PREAMP OUT. If audio goes through with the power off, then it should be lower in level and distorted, because it's just leaking through powered-down circuitry.

By which you mean a preamp with one pair of inputs and one pair of outputs, intended to amplify and RIAA equalize the output of a phono cartridge. Right? That's what I was talking about.

The phono section shut down when the power was off, but the rest kept working. I didn't check the REC Out because I don't use a tape deck, but I could check it easily enough (tomorrow).

WRT where the volume control is on this amp, it has a dual-trace pad for each input, which is common for Sony and the cause for the PITA aspect of cleaning that particular control- it needs to be disassembled. The sound quality and level didn't change, either. I should have noted that this only happens with equipment that has a "Source Direct" mode and that's how I have tended to use it, but I had forgotten about that aspect of it. I suspect that it would shut down or sound bad if it was in the normal mode. Sorry about that, Chief.

You were describing a stand-alone phono preamp in that last paragraph, right? If so, yes. I haven't been back to the house where I installed the preamp- I'll be there in the next few days and will confirm/deny that it has a level control. I think it does.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse