The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Sunday January 19, 2014 at 19:49
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 19, 2014 at 15:08, Ernie Gilman said...
AND when the Kenwood is turned on. It's quite likely the assumption was made that the Kenwood would be able to be turned on when needed and turned off otherwise. It's reasonable to think that if you don't want to play the phono through the Kenwood, you'd leave it off. That's a reason not to have it occur to a person to use the Kenwood Tape Outs. The same goes for using the Kenwood's phono input as THE phono preamp.

Or the Kenwood's power is off.

If it has ANY set of REC OUT jacks, you don't need a Y cord because the Y was for sending the signal to the Kenwood and to the newer amp. Your suggestion feeds it to the Kenwood and REC OUT feeds it to the other amp, so no Y is needed.

Phono preamps are intended to convert a cartridge signal to a line level, and I've never heard of one with level controls.

RE: phono preamp, that won't work when it's off, but it's possible that the switching for sources, volume and tone controls are passive and that's something I hadn't thought of before. I have a Sony ES integrated amp that has all passive switching/volume and tone controls. I had it modified so it would have preamp out and when I shut the power amp off, I was surprised by the fact that the sound didn't stop.

Look at Art Audio- IIRC, they have at least one with a level control and I'll find another brand in the next day, or so- I installed one, but don't remember what brand it is.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse