The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Saturday January 18, 2014 at 08:56
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 18, 2014 at 06:58, drewski300 said...
So we have a customer that absolutely insisted having a receiver for surround sound and wanted a $50 garage sale amp for his record player. Now when I say record player, I mean the modern ones with an RCA out....

We decided to put in a speaker override that would allow us to use the L/R speakers for both systems. It frankly worked well but the customer ran into some user error issues which we had instructed not to do on multiple occasions. So I finally fired off an email saying that garage sale amp is going away, period. It will fix all of their "problems" and we won't have to take a phone call every 6 months.

The problem: The Yamaha RX-A730 does not sound as good as the old 2 channel amp (not sure of age/brand/model as I didn't install it). I understand that's to be expected but I want to find a compromise. So I feel like I have some options:
1. Upgrade the Yamaha 730 to a 1030. I don't think this will yield a happier customer.
2. Switch to Marantz
3. Add a 5 channel amp

My preference is listed above based on ease of change and having the conversation with a completely rude insulting customer. I would reverse the order in a perfect world. Any advice would be appreciated.

What is the old amp- it's not a tube amp, is it? You don't want to remove the load from a tube amp while it's on.

How are you switching between the amps? If the old one is solid state, you could build a switching device for less than $25 in parts, but if you set it up to have both amps connected to the speakers at any time, it's wrong and a bad way to allow using both.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse