The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Friday November 1, 2013 at 14:08
Soundsgood
Long Time Member
November 2005
I am looking forward to trying out the 2 channel version. I don’t think I will be using the 3 channel version due to this statement on the product sheet.
Note: This amplifier uses an internal DSP for intelligent blending of signals to create a unique center channel while maintaining stereo separation. It supports two-channel inputs only and does not perform surround decoding for Dolby/DTS formats.
I know the reason for this is because most TV’s don’t output 5.1 over the digital out. Not Snaps fault and they are trying to make a product that compensates for bad TV’s but to me it feels like going back in time 20 years. They are essentially just trying to fake a center channel. For a little more I will just be using an entry level receiver that can actually route HDMI from multiple sources, do proper surround sound decoding and bass management, and allow the option for surround sound speakers. When you factor in the price of multiple long HDMI cables from the source units to the display it may actually be cheaper to do it right with a receiver.
I know the point of this is to have a small amp located behind the TV. IMO if that is the only option I would much rather have a 2.1 system that is actually playing the program information as recorded then a 3.1 system that fakes a center channel just so you have 3 speakers that are making sound. Good 2.1 is better then bad 3.1 IMO but to each their own.
I normally don’t post things like this on a public site because some manufactures see them as a slam but I know that Snap is one of the good guys and takes installer comments seriously and uses them to give us better products. If they want to go beyond 2.1 what we really need is a device that passes thru the HDMI video to the display and strips and amplifies the audio. This would be killer for use with their HDMI matrix products. Basically a product that strips all of the stuff out of a receiver that we don’t need like multiple audio/video inputs and switching and gives us just what we need. One HDMI input or an HDbaset input, 1 HDMI out to display, an audio decoder and 5 or 7 amplified channels and a .1 out for the sub.

Hosting Services by ipHouse