The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 88 made on Saturday October 5, 2013 at 00:55
cnacht
Long Time Member
March 2005
On October 4, 2013 at 21:29, BigPapa said...
|

Both statements I've heard on talk radio repeated I don't know how many times. It's bumper sticker intellectualism.

The government has been running 1/7th of the US Economy (more like 22%) in health care for a really long long time. It's called Medicare and Medicaid. 

The military has it's problems with $: politicians wanting to spend billions on a very expensive fighter plane that the military doesn't want as one example. The military has had successes and failures. Do you recommend we let the private sector compete in warfare? We dabbled in that in Iraq, didn't seem to work out that well.

While it's easy and en vogue to complain about government 'not doing things well' it really doesn't mean anything. It's a feeling, a belief, but not a useful concept to initiate in problem solving. 

But it really works well if you want to maintain the status quo. Then it's useful. 

I get it, you feel the government is the solution to the health care problem. Correct me if I am wrong, but you feel that we should have a socialized medical system and that would fix most of the issues with our health care system because the private sector could never figure it out. I say you are wrong based on my 15 years of not only being a physician, but being a board member of a multi-specialty clinic. Medicare has been around for ages and is not going away and we get that, but it the most screwed up system we have to deal with. Every year they throw some more unfunded mandate our way, most of which only make it harder to take care of our patients.
I will have to say that us physicians are partly to blame, and not because of our pay. Most of us spend all of our time caring for our patients and we didn't take the time to take the lead on this issue. Due to our apathy, we got a solution that beurocrats created which is less than ideal. There are examples of private systems that have figured it out. I would say that our physician owned and run health plan is a good example, but big players like Viginia Mason, Geisinger, and Kaiser are examples of how a good system can be scaled out.
I applaud your idealism on this issue, and think it would be great to deliver health care to every one as well. The problem is that you can't do that without rationing, and no one has the stomach for that in this country. If you don't ration in a national health care system, it will go bust. When you try to please everyone, you please no one.
Chad
Excellent thread. With with all the differing opinions, you can see why there are no easy solutions. I hope I was able to provide some insight from the inside. I think from here on out I will watch you guys duke it out on this issue as I have fallen behind by responding on this thread instead of doing my paper work.

Hosting Services by ipHouse