The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 78 made on Friday October 4, 2013 at 14:06
cnacht
Long Time Member
March 2005
On October 4, 2013 at 12:38, BigPapa said...
Why is that?

People that scrape by and get insurance now, will pay more for it. The insurance that will be offered in the exchange, is by no means be affordable. To make it affordable, one would have to have a high deductible. When patients have high deductibles, they do not come in for their important preventative care that could possibly save money for the system.
How much does the cost increase due to government involvement? Are these costs necessary for the effective management and delivery of health care?

I do not have those figures, nor do I have the desire to look them up. If you have them, go ahead and sock it to me. Of course there are some costs that are necessary by the government for delivery of health care. That is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that there are health systems such as Virginia Mason, Geisinger, Kaiser Permanente that can deliver better quality care and more efficiently than the federal government. I would prefer to have health care that is delivered based on models that they have made rather than our congressmen that do not have a clue about health care delivery.
Are you going to imply that these costs are unnecessary and wasteful because government is inefficient, which is a key point made by Mogul?

Yes some are waste-full, but some are required. We run our own health plan and the way the government delivers health care is a joke.
Yes, some OB/GYN's pay six figures. Many don't. OB/GYN's in only a few counties in some states pay that much. Many doctors pay 4 figures. It's easy to figure this out in the link I posted above with 10 minutes of reading. You're overstating the cost of medical malpractice insurance.

I will admit that I gave an extreme example, but the cost of medical malpractice insurance and defensive medicine provide a substantial cost to the system. I would agree that it is completely underestimated partly because of political reasons (trial lawyers which many in congress have been before elected), but also because doctors are probably ashamed to admit how often they order labs or tests to cover there ass. By the way, none of the doctors in my clinic pay 4 figures are malpractice insurance. I think we can all concede that malpractice dose contribute to the cost of healthcare to some extent. If so then why wouldn't you put Tort reform into the ACA if it was truly designed to improve the affordability of health care.
It did.

I guess you could say the public did choose, but what they wanted and what they got in the form of the ACA are 2 different things.
Chad

Last edited by cnacht on October 4, 2013 15:09.

Hosting Services by ipHouse