Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 49 made on Tuesday September 10, 2013 at 14:39
Control Remotes
August 2003
On September 10, 2013 at 13:08, OneRemote said...
Damon, no offense, but if stopping this stuff was possible, wouldn't Microsoft and Apple and other multi-billion dollar companies have been more successful in removing their pirated software from these illegal sites?

Not trying to say you don't have talent or skills, which I'm sure you do, but am just seeing a disconnect since Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X pirated software can be easily found and even though those companies have taken legal action against the sites, the software remains easily accessible to anyone.

OneRemote:

There are software publishers who make software which is substantially harder to crack than what MS and Apple produce. Why? Because those smaller companies will go out of business if they do not make money and protect their products, so I'm well aware that it can be done. If a hundred thousand people obtain something from MS or Apple illegally, it will barely make a dent in their bottom lines. So, while it is important to them, it's not the be all end all. The cost vs benefit may simply not be worth it for them to go beyond their current choices, in order to pick up what may equate to a <1% loss.

What I'm suggesting is locking software down for installation and use, not distribution. If it's locked at the point of use, it doesn't matter if it gets distributed all over the internet and Walmart gives discs away for free. You can't use it if you can't get in.

Damon
Remote Programming Services for URC Remotes
http://www.PremierAVDesigns.com - 914-509-5360
Follow me on Twitter @HomeTheaterNY

Hosting Services by ipHouse