The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 76 made on Sunday August 11, 2013 at 13:51
SirLee
Lurking Member
August 2013
On February 17, 2013 at 05:52, Azathoth said...
Thanks guys, you've completely removed any desire I had to work with any URC dealers. The arrogance and levels of smugness here are truly astounding.

^ A Thousand times this! ^

The policy that URC has made might be one of the most asinine that I have ever seen for several reasons. I have spent several years advocating their products, having owned a SL-9000 and MX-500 (and yes, I bought both from local, authorized dealers) to control my self-installed theater room.

I was about to purchase a mx-450, but found mx-890 and started to do some homework. I liked everything I saw and decided to buy the higher end model despite the difficulty in programming it. Being an experienced software developer and well aware of the complexities of integrating a theater room into a seamless experience, I felt I was more than qualified to handle the software.

I did a local search for places that sell the remote (did not find any willing to specify prices without a visit), I decided to order via amazon. (Important note, bad dealer policy is why I was going to order online, not price as I generally am willing to pay 20-27% markup for local support).

Right before I ordered, I saw a warning that online sales did not honor the warranty. If not for that, I would not have found the criminally insane policy of not providing programming software for a programming remote.

And, yes - I did do my research before that. Their website features “residential products” prominently on their web pages and the “retail products” are not even visible unless you click the arrow to the right on at the bottom of the home page. The mx-890 product page has absolutely NO mention of their policy regarding this product. After 30 minutes I found their “Internet Sales Warning” page which I still cannot believe is their policy.

Seriously guys, the product description does NOT have a warning on it. Do you REALLY think most people will find they cannot get the software before they order?

When you look up a remote you find it on Amazon first. The reseller gives absolutely no warning that the product is basically a brick if you buy it. Buyer beware, sure - but this reflects VERY negatively on 1) the manufacturer, and 2) you dealers since Amazon itself is an authorized dealer. Once someone realizes the distinction with a reseller, it is usually too late.

However, what you do not realize is that this policy actually HURTS dealers much more than you could possibly imagine as the list of unintended consequences is a mile long.

First, it eliminates sales from do-it-yourselfers such as myself. As a general rule, we probably send your brick and mortar stores more business than you could imagine because we show off our custom rooms and others want to replicate it without the expertise.

Second, customers who do buy the product and have to return it (if they can). They will blame URC as much as the guy who sold it to them. Which drives down the entry level sales you would get otherwise. (Every time I go in for something simple like a new screen, I get a 40 minute sales pitch on something new – I ended up buying my last projector because of it. My local dealer loves it because of the repair work it has needed, I might add...)

Third, once an average customer faces this problem, they will download a virus laden copy of the software when dealers won't provide them the CCP software. I wouldn't be surprised if URC is eventually sued by a shady lawyer as a result (lawyers can sue for anything, and companies are often forced to payout to avoid the fees. In the end, it will hurt prices and your sales as a result.)

Finally, Fourth - the most important item to the self-righteous “experts” on this site. When any or all of this happens the person becomes angry at the good local guy because it is apparent this policy is in place to “help” you. This policy from URC is on your hands, not the guy online.

Just to clarify, I am not angry because I experienced this policy first hand. I did not buy the remote. I am angry because I will never own the remote I wanted to buy. I am also angry because I am so irritated at dealers that I know I will be stuck buying my next projector from Fry's.

tldr? I blame local dealers for bad URC policy.

Hosting Services by ipHouse