The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Sunday August 11, 2013 at 01:04
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 11, 2013 at 00:24, steve kovacs said...
I plan on purchasing a remote that has the ability to download codes from a computer database of codes. A few questions...

Any of the brands of programmable remotes has THEIR OWN database that you can download and use. However, I was wrong when I said "you," as you must be a dealer for URC or for RTI to get their software and therefore access to their databases.

The best thing I've seen here so far is the Pronto idea. An original Pronto (TS1000, TSU2000) is GREAT at learning codes; software for it is free here in the files section; there are many sets of codes free here (but not recent ones); and the editor allows you to see and copy off hex codes. Whoever said you don't need hex codes is right. You just need a way to get the codes and teach them to your remote.

1. How does a person get access to the database of codes? Must you purchase a remote from URC then they give you access to the codes?

No. You have to be a dealer, that is, dedicate yourself to selling them. End users cannot get the software, thus not get into the database.

2. What if you buy a used remote. How would you get access to these codes?

You would not.

3. Can you download codes from other databases other than the manufacturer of the remote you are using?

Mostly not. But, for instance, the URC software allows you to convert a Pronto file into a URC file. This means you have to have the Pronto file to get it to a URC device, though you could just teach the file from the Pronto to your remote directly. So you don't need anything more than the Pronto.

I think you need to back up one step. You don't need to learn about hex codes, and downloading them, and all that jazz. You need to know how to get some codes into your remote. So please tell us what codes you want to get into your remote and we can attack your actual problem.

4. I plan on only using the remote I purchase to download discrete codes to the remote I purchase then learn those codes into the URC RF 20 remotes I own. Based on this information any suggestions on the least expensive remote I can purchase to accomplish this.

A used Pronto TS1000.

You've made this much more difficult than it has to be by coming to the conclusion of what you need to do, rather than asking with help as to how to do what you need to do.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse