The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Monday June 3, 2013 at 00:05
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
On June 2, 2013 at 23:21, Hasbeen said...
 That's pretty nice..Simple and effective. 

Ya know what I think would be cool, to build something like that, but have the fire cage/pit on some sort of a crank system so it could be raised and lowered as needed.  I'm not mechanically inclined enough to build it though.  

In your case, if you had the walls built with the bricks, you could have a crank on the outside of the brick that you just crank and raise and lower the fire wherever you want it.  

If you're out there just enjoying a fire, crank it all the way up so its sitting high on top of the oven/firepit for visual appeal and warmth in autumn.  When you want to do some serious cooking lower the fire back down into the hole that you dug. 

You are kind of in the same direction that I am thinking. However, I don't need to move the fire. Even for just a nice little fire to sit around, having the top of at ground level is ideal. Again, the wind doesn't push it around. It's what we do when we go camping. But I would like to build the grill rack and pot hooks where I could crank them up and down. I would also like to be able to put a rotisserie spit on it. Its a project that I have been wanting to do for a while. And I think I will probably start it this summer. Getting the fire pit in place is the big deal, then I can experiment with the rest and let it evolve with use.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse