The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday March 26, 2013 at 09:34
Grit
Long Time Member
April 2007
I'm at a point where RS-232 control would be very helpful. I want to make sure I'm understanding what will and won't work from URC.

If I understand this correctly, the MSC400 will allow the CCP remotes (such as the MX-880, MX-890, MX-980, etc) to use RS-232 codes if devices are connected properly (correct cabling and serial port settings). These remotes will still allow RF control of Lutron light switches that are designed for RF, but will the MSC400 allow one of these remotes to use the Lutron RadioRA2 devices (thermostat, etc.)?

I also looked at the MRX-1, which APPEARS to be compatible with both CCP-programmed/RF remotes as well as Total Control remotes. However, if I read everything correctly, the RF remotes will NOT allow RS-232 control or IP control through the MRX-1? And if that's the case, I presume I would need a Total Control remote (and thus the effort of writing device drivers) to make use of the MRX-1?

Also, can either of these options be used to control ceiling fans? I can't find any Lutron RF switches that will operate ceiling fans.

Hosting Services by ipHouse