The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Friday February 8, 2013 at 17:02
etc6849
Long Time Member
September 2010
You think you're a pro since you can program a remote?!?  I'm really being serious, not trying to be rude.  How valuable of a skill is that when I can figure out how to do the same thing as you in only a few hours or less?

I'd really like to know how a URC dealer can integrate a total control solution, while retaining full duplex asynchronous communication with other systems (unless URC builds the driver for you).

Is there an SDK that's really been released to all dealers?  Last I checked, there were only a few select beta testers that had the SDK. I'll admit I only read main sites and not URC's news letters since I'm not a dealer (and have no desire to be).  One can bet that if it has been officially released (which I don't think it has) it will have bugs at first anyways.

I do not know your qualifications, but I do know that a lot of folks doing work in your field aren't even licensed to do low voltage work, yet call their selves professionals. There are indeed a lot of fly by night "integrators" around, just read some of the horror stories on here.

Loud mouth "professionals" like yourself spouting insults about folks income and calling folks stupid (without any background information whatsoever) don't help either.  Didn't anyone ever tell you bad advertising is NOT good advertising?!?  

Besides, what kind of person goes around insulting folks online with their business information attached to their profile?  Yes, I'm sure you are very wise though.

PS: While it's really none of your business, those who have home automation as a hobby, have a high level of income and a very high technical competence. You'd have to make good money; even automating a home at dealer cost (yes, it's easy for us to get any product at dealer cost) is somewhat expensive.

I can easily afford to pay someone to program my remote if I wanted to. In a nut shell, it's just easier and more fun for me to do it myself. It's not a monetary issue at all.

It's easier because: who wants to hire someone to reprogram their remote everytime they buy a new peice of equipment?  Especially when there are plenty of dealers willing to share full versions of CCP?  Seems like your customers are misinformed if anything.  I kind of feel sorry for them dealing with a person such as yourself.

Folks with advanced degrees (masters level and above) in engineering and/or computer science really do know their stuff.  They are the same types of folks who actually design hardware and software used in real control systems.  Imagine that, systems designers might know more than you...

Besides, system's integration has always included automation, not just controls.  If you can't tackle the most demanding custom jobs, you aren't much of an integrator if you ask me.

PS: A windows 8 tablet is NOT the same as an MX-900 remote.  Some folks desire hard buttons as they can easily feel their finger's location without looking away from a movie.  Also, in a home theater with a projector, a bright screen annoys some folks.  

Seems like a "professional" should already know this, but I guess I'll have to state the obvious.  I have all kinds of tablets with my system, but I always prefer an actual remote for extended viewing.

On February 7, 2013 at 23:00, Presinium said...
Lol haha you guys are really that narrow minded? 99%+ of people that are interested in these solutions dont want to do it themselves and wouldnt be able to if they wanted to. If you can't afford a pro , buy harmony or buy windows 8 tablets and program your own systems from scratch ... Why sit around and cry By the way total control has a sdk so please check your facts before making claims ... uneducated insults at a company makes you look stupid... extra vegetables has a sonos app coming out and I am working on a xbmc module now.
FREE Home Automation software called Premise: [Link: cocoontech.com]
[Link: cocoontech.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse