The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday February 7, 2013 at 06:55
FP Crazy
June 2003
I've done this dozens of time with Grafik Eyes:

Run a Cat 5 and tie wrap, clamp, duct tape (or whatever method you're comfortable with) to the bottom of the electrical box of the Grafik Eye.

After sheetrock and painting (when trimming out) I pull the Cat 5 out into the open and solder & tape (or heat shrink) an emitter onto a pair of the Cat 5 wires and tuck that connection an excess wire back into the wall cavity. I break off the shell of the ir emitter and tape the emitter diode to the IR receiver of the Grafik Eye (under it's face plate).

This scenario has worked many times for me in the past and it keeps the low voltage wire completely outside of the electrical box.

The only rub is that the diode causes a very slight bump in the Grafik Eye faceplate. But you can get creative with a dremel tool and do a little grinding on the GE, faceplate and diode to completely eliminate that too, if the bump bothers you.

However an alternative, would be to not sell anything by Lutron and use UPB which offers alternatives in controlling that don't require this. The bonus of this is you get to give the finger to Lutron, which is always satisfying ;)
Chasing Ernie's post count, one useless post at a time.

Hosting Services by ipHouse