The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday February 5, 2013 at 21:45
CABrouwers
Lurking Member
February 2013
You guys sound very defensive. No need to be dismissive or insulting to people who feel they don't need your services. I understand that manufacturers need installers and installers need to make money, hence the “locked” products and high margins. The truth however is that these devices are not complicated for someone who is a little technically minded and takes the time to read a manual (I hold an MS in Computer Engineering and used to design networking equipment). By the way, I am not even trying to save money, I would be happy to pay an installer to do the initial installation. The thing I find really annoying is to have to call someone later to make a change to the systems. Finally, you are right, my current set-up is not that complicated but it is uncommon in the US residential market. It is based on Clipsal C-Bus, which is very popular in Asia and Europe. I am sure an installer could learn it but it would not make sense for him to spend the time doing so. By the way, one of the reasons I chose that system is because it is completely user programmable so when I want to change the conditions under which the solar shades close based on external and internal temperatures, sunlight and occupancy, I don’ t need to call a technician.

Hosting Services by ipHouse