The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Monday December 31, 2012 at 15:08
Presinium
Long Time Member
September 2011
On December 31, 2012 at 09:29, conroyw said...
Here's another one...

Notice this isn't a fly by night(start up) company.  Key digital is a serious player in the corp space with deep pockets.

[Link: keydigital.com]

Key Digitals Compass Control is no different then URC's Total Control (for those of you that want to reply WHAT!? hear me out) in terms of the way it goes to market.  It is a pro-only line so I don't really understand what you are saying?

You have a product line that, while still current (a remote I was using 6 years ago is still being sold by URC), it does not mean it is what they are doing and focusing on today.

Of course the industry is changing, that is clear... the world of Crestron-like systems is growing expoentially it seems..
  • Crestron
  • Compass Control
  • Savant
  • URC Total Control
  • Control 4 
  • Global Cache is attempting to break the DIY market but you are not even a real human if you think that would take off in the mainstream ... most people don't want to do it themselves... They do make a great product though so I added them
  • CommandFusion
  • eNado
  • More...
I would say the shape of the control industry is changing drastically and companies such as the listed above all see it.  I don't think that any company has positioned themselves in the wrong place that I have seen above - there is only one company I'm not going to mention that I am worried about in the future in terms of being able to stay relevant - and that was almost just bad luck on developing their product line just before what I call the "paradigm shift" in control (when TCP/IP became a relevant player).

You have, for the most part, outdated technology and you are treating it as-if it is the newest product on the market...

The only thing that you will see change is more brands entering the market.  I could buy a Raspberry Pi and have a controller for $35 that is probably better in terms of hardware specs then every controller from the companies listed below under $2,000 then use GlobalCache to handle IR - yes... but it would require some serious programming on my side.. so new brands will come out, but URC or any other brand listed is not in trouble... they are doing exactly the right thing.

URC has the best database, you are right - and it makes programming these things simple.. they have MANY faults that I won't mention and they need to work on those things if they want to GROW in a more crowded market, yes...
Josh Edman
Los Angeles, CA
(888) 415 - 5855

Hosting Services by ipHouse