The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday December 4, 2012 at 11:46
BudgetBoy
Lurking Member
July 2008
My dilema: How to control whole-house audio using Android Tablets?

My Equipment:

Denon AVR-3313CI
Philips Serial Extender RFX-9600
Marantz Multi-Zone Control Amplifier ZS5300 (3 zones per unit x 3 units = 9 zones)
Niles Volume Control Knobs (potentiometers) in each room/zone
TEAC AM/FM Stereo Tuner T-R670
Sony CD/DVD Player DVP-CX-777ES (400 disc changer)(*)
Sony Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Player BDP-S550
Netgear Wifi Router (WPN824 v3) and two extender units

(*) - Sony disc changer (carousel) originally installed along with the Philips Pronto Fireball (MX-311). The original install also included two Philips Pronto TSU-9600 wifi remote controls. This setup failed to provide a seamless A/V experience for the family and was constantly plagued with "command failed" issues even while standing next to the wifi extenders or in front of the wifi router! These components have been removed from the system altogether.

Vizio Tablet (Android)
Acer Inconia Tab A100 (Android)

All A/V equipment is installed in the "head-end" room, which is also the home theater rack system.

The Denon AVR-3313CI is installed and intended to drive the home theater projector and speackers, but has the capability of managing up to three zones (home theater being zone 1).

Android Apps downloaded and installed so far include:
- The Denon Remote App
- The AVR App

My intended audio sources for the whole-house audio will be:
1 - TEAC AM/FM tuner (dedicated eventhough the Denon also has a tuner)
2 - Sony 400-disc CD/DVD Carousel (will use "Y" connector on audio out to share with the Denon in the theater)
3 - Music media server (have three NAS units on the home network, two have music streaming capabilities - (1) Synology DS410 NAS, (2) Netgear ReadyNAS Duo)

My understanding is that the Serial Extender can either blast or relay IR discrete codes for up to 4 audio devices. These audio components would have their audio out signal wired into the inputs on the Marantz amplifiers. The question is, how to "communicate" with the serial extender from the wifi Android tablets? (serial extender is hard-wired to the home network/LAN).

I would be willing to pay someone to help "program" the Android apps, if necessary -- it really has come down to this. We have been in the house for five years now and never has the Philips Pronto system worked as advertised. Meanwhile, any advice and help for this DIY'er would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Hosting Services by ipHouse