The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Tuesday December 4, 2012 at 01:12
dalto
Long Time Member
July 2005
On December 3, 2012 at 14:42, jwfrankman said...
I've been doing some research on using discrete codes: is either of the above remotes able to use these discrete hex codes on its own, or, as I've read, would I need to first purchase a cheap "jp1" remote (One For All?) to program a discrete code and have my chosen remote manually learn the code from the jp1 remote?

The R40 will need another remote to teach the codes if the ones you want are not already in the URC database somewhere. JP1 would be a good option. The Harmony does not normally allow the entering of hex codes but there are some work arounds such as using concordance or some other front ends. You could also probably try calling support and asking them to add the hex code you need.
Other than that, since no one seems to know a discrete code for the Netflix (within Samsung Smart Hub) question, I would assume a macro would just include a Smart Hub command, then 2 right cursors to select Netflix (among other component switches). Although since I've never owned a remote capable of macros (I've always had at least 4 remotes lying everywhere), I can only make assumptions, but is this basically how a macro would function? And would either of these remotes perform better than the other in this case?

That is the basic concept, yes. A macro is just a series of commands executed in order.

There may not be a discrete code to take you to netflix on your samsung so you many have to do something like you propose.

The R40 has quite a bit more flexibility than the Harmony when it comes to macros. The Harmony has the advantage of being PC programmable.

The most unfortunate thing about the R40 is the name “My Favorite Remote”

Hosting Services by ipHouse