Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Monday December 3, 2012 at 14:42
jwfrankman
Lurking Member
November 2012
Hey all,

I've been posting over in the discrete code area of RC, but for some reason can't seem to get any response whatsoever. Either I'm breaching some etiquette rule about posting questions in the wrong area (I assume someone would tell me) or no one knows the answer to my questions (which I seriously doubt, judging by the calibur of responses I've seen while reading through other posts).

So I'll post the meat of my questions here, and I guess if I don't get anything, I'll try AVS forum or Anandtech. I always get replies there...

I'm shopping for a remote. I keep flopping back and forth between the URC R40 and Harmony One, but I'm leaning toward the R40 due to customizability and flexibility. I don't need RF, so unless the spendier models fit my situation in other ways, I can rule them out.

I've been doing some research on using discrete codes: is either of the above remotes able to use these discrete hex codes on its own, or, as I've read, would I need to first purchase a cheap "jp1" remote (One For All?) to program a discrete code and have my chosen remote manually learn the code from the jp1 remote?

Other than that, since no one seems to know a discrete code for the Netflix (within Samsung Smart Hub) question, I would assume a macro would just include a Smart Hub command, then 2 right cursors to select Netflix (among other component switches). Although since I've never owned a remote capable of macros (I've always had at least 4 remotes lying everywhere), I can only make assumptions, but is this basically how a macro would function? And would either of these remotes perform better than the other in this case?

Hosting Services by ipHouse